Thursday, April 30, 2009

Convergent evolution featuring The Apprentice and The Origin


UK readers who watched last night's edition of the cult TV show The Apprentice might be interested to see life imitating art, or convergent evolution in action. Last night the task set by Sir Alan was for the two teams to sell off a job lot of second-hand books, which included a hidden treasure--a first edition of Ian Fleming's Octopussy and the Living Daylights. Earlier today, a rare first edition of On The Origin of Species was sold off at auction in Norfolk for £35,000 (BBC story here). But remarkably, the seller had acquired the book as part of a job lot of books bought for a few pounds back in the 1970s!

A colleague suggested that I stop the renovation work on my house and divert the money to acquiring the book, but alas I was too late. And my wife would have probably divorced me on grounds of "unreasonable behaviour"!

No comments: