Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Baba Brinkman confronts Canadian science minister

Forget Kansas, all eyes are on Canada now as the laughing stock of the developed world for the bizarre and non-committal attitude of its science minister, Gary Goodyear, (left) towards evolution. After first saying that he wasn't going to answer questions on evolution on religious grounds, he has now come up with this odd statement:

"We are evolving every year, every decade. That's a fact, whether it is to the intensity of the sun, whether it is to, as a chiropractor, walking on cement versus anything else, whether it is running shoes or high heels, of course we are evolving to our environment. But that's not relevant and that is why I refused to answer the question. The interview was about our science and tech strategy, which is strong."
And now Canadian Rap artist Baba Brinkman has stepped into the fray with this open letter to Goodyear. Here's how its starts:
Dear Minister Goodyear,

I will be performing a show called "The Rap Guide to Evolution" as part of the Vancouver Evolution Festival in a few weeks, and I would like to invite you to come to the performance free of charge. Allow me to explain...



But I won't be taking any bets on Goodyear taking up the challenge!

See also:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't worry. Even though I am somewhat uncomfortable talking about my religious beliefs like this, I also believe in special relativity: you know, the theory that all truthiness is relative to the claimant's proximity to the Prada store nearest the Toronto railway station. Our thruthiness is getting more relative every day!

Mark Pallen said...

Nothing here to do with religion! Do you accept the scientific facts of evolution, common descent of humans and all other life forms and the evidence for an Earth that is more than 4 billion years old.

A simple yes will do.

If not, I guess I ought to send you a copy of my book!

Gary McGath said...

Given that "gary-goodyear"'s bio reads "My policies include the misunderstanding of science, to provide data supporting Poe's Law, and generally parodying my namesake," I seriously doubt that you're addressing the Candian science minister.

Mark Pallen said...

uh oh! Looks like I have been suckered ;-)